Monday, August 11, 2014

8/11/14 | It's...august

Hola Hermosa Familia!

All of the girls in the spanish ward think I have the most beautiful
family! Especially my baby brothers. :) they all love you. Austin, I
am so proud of you for doing that most awesomest thing I taught you at
EFY. That is seriously hilarious! I told Sister Suckow about it and
she died! She also made me teach her how do to it ;). Ummmmm do ya'll
know that VALERIA CHAO IS HOME?! She is, I know for sure because she
added me on facebook.com. But I can't add her as a friend :(
#missionrules. Oh by the way, I got a hair cut! I'm sure you saw on
facebook. Do you like it!? I doooooooo and so does President Anderson.
We had Zone Conference this week and he pulled me aside at the end,
shook my hand real nice and said, "Sister Bailey, I just LOVE your
hair cut! It looks so good!!!" Everyone here in Reading loves it too.
So I hope yous do!

Ok so I met my new favorite person this week. Her name is Sister
Gruber, she's in her 70's and is pretty much home bound. When we left
her house Sister Suckow turned to me and said, "That's exactly how I
imagine you being when you're old!" haha compliment taken. This woman
is seriously a maze ing. We talked about Harry Potter, Lord of the
Rings and Jane Austen. And also snorkeling and hiking and even sharks.
Oh then we shared a spiritual message and talked about the gospel too
;). While we were there, I was trying to figure out who this woman
reminded me of (other than myself ;)) this was my conclusion: She
either reminded me of Sister Bailey from dad's mission or she is how I
imagine Grandma Bailey being like :). We had a wonderful time being
with her. Then we went out to Douglasville to meet Sister Eleanor
Defrees. She is 98 years old! Crazy huh!!! She turns 99 next month
(that means she was born in 1915!!!!!) and she is so sharp! Seriously,
I would have guessed she was in her 70's.  We talked about family
history and she showed us the oldest photo albums i've ever seen. It
was sooooooooo coooooool. She had a news paper from 1904 that had an
article about her mom in it! She also told us that she plays wii
bowling and beats all of the old men :).

We went on exchanges with Sister Handy and Sister Ririe this week.
They are serving in Reading 1 north. So not our old area but in our
old ward. She's an old lady that thinks she can still do
anything...like chop down trees in her backyard. We were making
cookies for a finding activity when we saw here out the window sawing
away at this big tree, so we jumped into our service clothes and ran
out to help her finish the job. It was soooo fun!!! I had never
chopped a tree down before :) Then she showed us around her wilderness
yard, pointed out some poison ivy (it really does look harmless...),
black berries, wine berries and Sassafras! YUM!!!! So sassafras is
what they use to make sarsaparilla (its a soda), so she just pulled
off a tiny branch and told me to chew on it...for some reason I trust
crazy old women so I did and my was it tasty!!! Who knew!? This woman
also told us about the creek in her backyard...it is very high in
iron--she believes it's because of all the Lamanites slain in it....I
don't know about that one. Then we went up to Hamberg to have lunch
with a RC Beverly. She made us PIEROGIES!!! YUMMMMM. I love those
things. We did some other finding activities, visited a very old, very
deaf woman (I had to yell "amen!" at the end of Sister Handy's prayer
so she would know it was over) Then for our dinner break, we went to
this old soda fountain shop (cause we still full on pierogies.) It was
so cute!!! It Looked just like the Blue Bird in Logan. I got a
Chocolate Egg Cream....yummmm it tasted like carbonated chocolate
milk....probably because that's what it was :). Then we went into
Reading to visit Brandi, she's the one that was very broken up that I
was leaving her ward, she's a less active and we went to go help her
prepare her visiting teaching message (she's a visiting teacher
now!!!!! yayyyy) She flipped out when I showed up. haha it was funny,
she's doing really good though. Then we went to the Welfare Garden.
The garden has been seriously neglected and it looked like someone (or
something) sat on top of the tomato patch. So naturally, I had the
really good idea to play some tomato schmear with a hoe as a bat :)
it was soooooooo funnnnnnnnnnnnn! Yous should try it sometime.

Oh get this! Sister Handy told me about a woman in Hamberg they do
service for. She made all of the set costumes for The Patriot....like
she literally made all of the clothes Mel Gibson wore in that movie!
WHAAAAAAAAT?! Isn't that crazy!? The Sparta people wanted her to make
the costumes for that movie too but she declined because her forte is
revolutionary war and other american stuff.

Wednesday was Zone Conference, we learned loootttts of stuffy stuff.
Sister Anderson talked about prayer and how we can improve out
personal prayers. President Stephenson talked about studying the
scriptures, when we study we must 
1: understand the content and context
2: Identify the doctrines
3: Feel the truth and importance
4: Apply
Try implementing this into your studies, its gooood!!!
all of the conference was really good but my favorite part of zone
conference is always the testimonies of the departing missionaries.
One of the former AP's was in our conference so he bore his testimony,
it was seriously incredible. He talked about how, like Christ's
Disciples, we cannot go back to our nets and fishes when our missions
are over. He ended his testimony with a firm statement of "I will NOT
ever stop being a missionary" it was super powerful.

Oh my I met my new favorite Sister missionary!! She is from Alpine,
her name is Sister Larsen! Came and found me durning a break and asked
if I knew Karlie and Shalie Taylor! YESSS I DO!!!! So we talked a
little bit about that and she knows Spanky too!!!! I guess she was in
their pref group. Isn't that crayzy!? She's the cutest thing and I
want to serve with her.

Cabela's was all that I could have hoped for last monday. It was super
weird because I felt like I was home in our Cabelas...hahah they all
look the same! Except for the one in Hamberg has an
elephant....coooollll.

Also we had a miracle happen called we went from teaching 0 RCLAs last
week to teaching 8!!!! I'm not really sure how it happened other than
we just had a lot of extra faith :).

Love you too the moon!!! Speaking of, there was a super moon last
night! It was so bright it shone through the crack in the blinds and
woke me up in the middle of the night! I just smiled at it and went
back to bed :)

byeeeeeee

sister B




No comments:

Post a Comment